Wednesday, February 19, 2014

I Tried It: Sunshine Burgers!


As a member of the Sweat Pink and Fit Approach network of bloggers, I was recently given the opportunity to sample a variety of vegan/non meat, organic veggie burgers from a company called Sunshine Burgers.  About a week ago, I got a shipment from Sunshine Burgers that included 6 different varieties of their burgers.  They shipped the burgers in dry ice so they remained fresh until I got home from work that night!  Behold the variety:

 

Although all of the varieties have different unique flavors and whole-food ingredients, they are all organic, contain no GMO ingredients, and are all vegan (score one for Jilly!).  They are also free of many common allergens (like gluten, wheat, soy, corn, oats, dairy, eggs and nuts). 

I was really excited to sample these, because I am always looking for new healthy ways to add protein into my diet.  I do eat meat, and most often get a bulk of my daily protein intake at dinner in the form of lean beef or turkey burgers.  However, more recently, I've been doing a lot of reading and research into factory farming practices, and this has prompted me to reduce my meat intake in favor of more plant-based protein sources.  This opportunity couldn't have come at a better time, because I just started switching out my turkey burgers for some veggie varieties!

In the past week I've tried many of the varieties I was provided by Sunshine Burgers.  The first one I tried was a breakfast sausage replacement  - the "Hemp & Sage" flavor.  I ate this plain between a bun, as one would eat a breakfast sausage sandwich.  In hindsight, I probably should have added an egg in there to make it a real breakfast sammie!  You could definitely taste the sage seasoning in this one, which I liked.  It didn't really taste 'meat-like' to me, because the texture was more grainy than meaty, but I liked the flavor.

My two favorites by far were the spicy varieties!  I loved the "Loco Chipotle" which was a larger, quarter-pound burger, and also loved the "Southwest" version which was a spicy black bean burger.  One night for dinner, I toasted a whole wheat bun, filled it with a Loco Chipotle patty and topped it off with some sprouts and avocado slices.  YUM!  The avocado added some creaminess which offset the spiciness of the burger.  Loved this combo:

 
 
I ate all of my burgers like burgers, but the company has lots of great ideas on their website for crumbling the patties and using them in recipes.  As we all know, I'm not THAT creative in the kitchen, and eating these like burgers was just perfect for me!  They are super easy to prepare because they are already fully cooked (#winning!) so all you have to do is heat them up in the microwave.  BOOM.  Easiest dinner ever.
 
 
If you want to try Sunshine Burgers for yourself, you can check out their website for even more information than I've provided here.  If you're in the Baltimore area, and looking to purchase a box for yourself, they are available at Safeway stores and Whole Foods.  You can also find a store near you on their website.
 
 
*Disclosure:  Sunshine Burgers provided me with the samples for this post, but I was not compensated in any way.  Reviews and opinions are entirely my own!
 
 
How about you?
 
Do you dig veggie burgers? 
 
Have you ever tried Sunshine Burgers?
 


6 comments:

  1. I love veggies burgers and usually make my own. I have not tried this brand as of yet, but thanks for the review:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynda! Oh wow, that's incredible that you make your own veggie burgers! I'd love to try my hand at that sometime. These were really good and had all natural ingredients, unlike some other brands on the market.

      Delete
  2. I loved my Sunshine Burgers! I actually haven't eaten mine as a straight up sandwich yet, but should. I've liked how versatile they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindsey! Yes, they were all so good! I am not a very good cook so eating them like burgers was pretty much all I came up with! HAHA

      Delete
  3. Hi There, this is Tasha from Sunshine Burger! I also really like to eat Sunshine Burger's in their Burger form. Here is an idea for a fancy burger recipe using Sunshine Burger that you might like (it also has sprouts and avocado:) http://sunnyseedup.com/?p=788

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tasha! Thanks for stopping by! And thanks for letting me sample your burgers! I loved them. I need to get myself to a Whole Foods stat to restock my supply. And thanks for the recipe as well :)

      Delete