Monday, September 16, 2013

Liebster Award


I mentioned before I left for South Carolina that I had been nominated for a Liebster Award by Angelena at On Fire Fitness, and I am so excited for this post!  Although I've been reading blogs for years, my little piece of the blog world is still in its infancy.  I'm so glad when people find my blog and something about it resonates with them.  Becoming a Sweat Pink Ambassador a few months ago also helped me connect with a lot of great women across the country and find new blogs myself. 

There are a few things I need to do upon accepting this award, so let's get to it.


First, I have to tell you 11 random facts about myself (My whole life is pretty random right now, but let me try to narrow it down to 11 little nuggets for you!):

1.  I have naturally curly hair which I only cut once a year!  Actually, we're stretching it this year because the last time I had my hair cut was August 2012.  Neo-hippie right here :)

2.  I really dislike coffee.  I never drink it.  I am much more a tea girl.  This probably makes me an outcast in the blogging world, especially during the hallowed PSL season!

3.  I have never had fro-yo!  I know, another blogging no-no.  But I discovered I was lactose intolerant when I was about 12 years old and fro-yo was not even on the scene back then.  Now it's all the rage, and unfortunately my body would definitely rage against me if I ingested some of it.  womp, womp

4.  The first live concert I ever went to was Dave Matthews in Hershey Park, PA in the late 90s.  Still some of my all-time favorite music.

5.  My favorite travel destination thus far in life has been Italy. I have been there twice and sometimes dream of becoming an au-pair or English teacher and living there for a couple of years.

6.  I played the trombone in my high school band.  Well 'played' isn't really accurate.  I never actually learned a scale or how to read music. Let's be real - I joined for the international trips.  Hello London!

7.  I studied German throughout high school and for 2 years in college.  I actually love the language, but now I have lost most of it.  I can read it pretty well, but no longer speak much.  Sprechen Sie Deutsch anyone??

8.  I wish I knew how to do Yoga.  I am a pretty hyper workout type of person - running, HIIT, Body Pump - but have lately been yearning to gain back some flexibility and meditation in my workouts.
 
9.  One of my first jobs in high school was working summers at the local pool snack bar.  Dream job really.  We got to eat anything we wanted all day for free!  I think I OD'ed on Laffy Taffy that summer.

10.  I rarely wear makeup.  I don't wear it all during the day, even when I was working.  I will only put it on when I'm going out at night and my routine is pretty simple: mascara, some eyeliner, a little blush and lipstick.  DONE.

11.  I am 34 years old but get asked often 'What school do you go to?'.  This just happened again today.  True story.


Next, I am supposed to nominate 11 new bloggers for a Liebster award
However, most of the blogs I read are well established blogs I have been reading for years.  So, I've picked a few relatively new ones that I love:

1.  3CheapRunners - A blog authored by three runners from Canada. I think I found them through SkinnyChickBlog.  I enjoy their style and posts.  Michelle is one of the founding bloggers and she always has time to comment on my little blog!

2.  A Mom Runs This Town - Created by Emma in NOVA.  I think she started blogging this year.  I found her through social media and now follow her on Twitter.  She is an amazing athlete and her new business venture Pretty Fit Girls is so inspiring!

3.  Runner Girl Eats - Well, Karen is not technically new to blogging, but she just started self-hosting (something I hope to one day do) so that's why I nominated her.  Her writing and posts are hilarious and also informative, so check her out!

4.  Merry Marathoner - I just discovered her after she commented on my post last week.  Isn't the blog world great?  Her blog is only a few months old as well and I'm pumped I have another one to follow!


I also have to answer 11 questions from Angelena:

1.  If you could only do 1 workout for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Obvious answer is Running.  That's a given. If I had to pick a #2 it would probably be biking.

2.  What is your greatest accomplishment?
Oh boy.  I'm not being self-deprecating here but I don't think I've done anything that qualifies as 'great' in my life yet.  There are so many things I still want to do, but I suppose the most surprising thing I've done in recent memory was to run a half marathon (my first) as a way to bring myself out of a very dark, depressing place that I was in a few years ago.

3.  What is the song that always gets you pumped for your workouts?
Oh, how I wish I still had some of the Jock Jams CD's we used to play in high school track! Those were some good tunes.  I don't really have a favorite song nowadays. I listen to Pandora on my runs, so whatever comes on the 90's pop or country fitness station, that's what I get!

4.  Where is your favorite place you have traveled to?
I mentioned this one up above, but hands down Italy.  More specifically, a little island off the coast of Sicily called Lipari.  It's part of a group of islands called the Aeolian Islands.  You can only get there via boat from Palermo.  Go! It's gorgeous.

5.  Flats or heels?
When I was working, Heels all day long.  But after wearing heels all day every day for 9 years, I started to develop some chronic aches in my lower legs, so I just switched to flats this year.  I'm not sure I will ever go back to heels now, except for nights out and special occasions.

6.  What is your favorite body part and why?
Hmm, I'm going with my hair here.  Is that a body part?! I love my wild, crazy, curly hair.  Surprising, because I really disliked it as a kid.  But it suits my personality now so well, I feel like it's my signature.  That, and it takes less than 5 minutes to style!  Walk out of shower, add multiple handfuls of gel to head, DONE!

7.  Who is your biggest role model and why?
Oh there are too many to mention here.  I have a few close friends (you know who you are!), who helped me through some really difficult times the past few years who I look up to for so many reasons - strength, compassion, unquestioning love and support.

8.  What is your favorite food?
Well, I've probably had the same 'favorite food' since I was 6 and it's a hamburger. Hahah, very sophisticated taste I know.  But some of my other favorites include: avocados and vegan ice cream.

9.  What is the reason you started blogging?
There are a few reasons actually. I started reading blogs a few years ago, and it was like I had discovered this whole other world. I was sucked down the rabbit hole and started gobbling up new blogs left and right. I also really love writing, but never did anything with it.  As a child, I was really creative - drawing, painting, writing stories, inventing things - but then I forsake my creative inclinations for what I thought I should be doing instead - pursuing more studious endeavors.  I then landed a job in an industry that was all wrong for me.  Now, I am rediscovering who I really am deep down and finally letting that person see the world :)

10.  If you could be anything, what would you be?
Hands down - a travel writer.  I want to see the world and write while I'm doing it.  That's my dream.

11.  What is your favorite movie?
I have a few.  And probably one you've never heard of!  The easy answer here is The Godfather. But I also love this lovely little movie from the 60's called The Trouble With Angels.  If anyone else on the planet knows this movie, we are probably destined to be best friends!

Well that is a TON of info about me! 


*Now for the bloggers I've nominated, don't feel obligated to do a post - just bask in the glory that is this wonderful Award!  But if you'd like to post about the Liebster on your blog, here are the instructions:

1.  Acknowledge/link to the nominating blogger.
2.  Share 11 random facts about yourself.
3.  Answer 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
4.  Nominate 11 (or fewer like I did!) bloggers who have less than 200  followers (or are relatively new if you can't see their followers). They should be bloggers that you believe deserve some recognition and a little blogging love.
5.  Post 11 questions for the bloggers that you nominated to answer.
6.  Let all of the bloggers know that they've been nominated. Sorry, you cannot re-nominate the blogger that nominated you.

My questions for the nominated bloggers:
1.  When and why did you start running?
2.  When and why did you start blogging?
3.  What is your 'day job'?
4.  What is your dream job?
5.  If you could eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
6.  Do you have a dream destination race?
7.  What was your favorite subject in school?
8.  In light of last night's TV - If you were a Miss America contestant, what would your talent be?!
9.  What's your favorite quote?
10.  What's something you are really proud of?
11.  If you were still young enough to Trick or Treat, what one candy would you hope to get in your bag this year?!

Annnnnd, if you got through this entire post without falling asleep or thinking I'm the most eccentric person ever, congratulations!



Questions for everyone:

Feel free to share some random facts about yourself!  Choose any of the questions above or just make up your own!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the luv Jill - I've really enjoyed following you and your fitness journey! I'll post my answers for your nomination on Wednesday! Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! It goes both ways. I just read your post - it was GREAT! I have to admit your job at a bridal store sounds pretty awesome, and your dream job of being RETIRED sounds even AWESOMER! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks! Matt is DMB crazy! I have been to few shows but he has been to tons! I also lovedddd Italy and hope to go back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I always enjoy reading your blog - you have a great sense of humor that definitely shines through :)
      I've loved DMB since I was an awkward high schooler and still do, so they've stood the test of time for me!

      Delete
  3. Great post Jill!! As soon as I read that you were posting interesting facts about yourself I thought of your trombone playing days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! I think we can all agree I was pretty much the most talented trombone player LHS will EVER see! HAHAHA

      Delete