Here it is, the 2014 Goals post. Hunker down because this may be a long and winding road.
So I mentioned in my last post I don't make behavioral resolutions for the New Year (ie. I will drink 12 glasses of water every day for the next 365 days. Nope, not gonna happen.), but I do like to have some goals and ideas about things I would like to accomplish in the coming months. I have never created a physical Vision Board (but that is on the to-do list this year), but I love the idea and purpose behind it. Today's post is going to be a virtual vision board of sorts.
So without further ado, I present to you some of my 2014 goals (a girl's gotta keep some things private!) listed in ascending order according to degree of difficulty (by my own calculations):
1. Create an (actual) vision board. Crucial first step here :)
2. Prepare and eat spaghetti squash. Ok, I could've gone all out here and simply written Learn to Cook but let's be real and start small. Learning to cook is going to be a HUGE endeavor so I'm starting small. I have been wanting to cook/eat spaghetti squash for months now, so this year it will happen. This one small victory may be all I need to discover I am actually a culinary genius. HAHA
3. Go to the movies alone. I realized over the holidays there were so many good movies out that I wanted to see, but that upon returning to Baltimore I would not have as many people around to go see them with. Enter Goal #3. Just because I don't have a significant other, or an availability of single friends, does not mean I should miss out on catching the luscious Leo in all his glory on the big screen.
4. Running goals. Run 2 more Half Marathons this year, as well as enter more short distance races. I did a few 5Ks last year and am starting to like them a little more than I thought I would. I would also like to do a 10K this year because that is a distance I've never raced before. I have other (more distant) running-related goals on the horizon, but I'm not sure they are a 2014 type goal yet (ie. Full Marathon calling my name at some point; Trying a Triathlon - sprint distance at first).
5. Blog work. I'd like to get more serious about my blog but not sure what that means. I would actually like to learn more about blog basics (search analytics, etc) and decide what direction I want to take this little number in. Do I want my blog to have its own Facebook account? Do I want to try to generate revenue? Do I want to be self hosted? All things to consider as I am still a blogger newbie.
6. Get my PT Certification. This is one I have been poring over for some time now. I have loved working out ever since I knew 'working out' was a thing - so probably since high school. I love pretty much any type of exercise, not just running, and I love sharing that with others. I get asked often by friends and family for exercise advice and many people (jokingly, I dk?!) have asked me to be their personal trainers. Sooo, this is something I have wanted to pursue for a long time and I hope to make it a reality this year. For those of you that are Certified Personal Trainers, I'd love to know which organization you recommend. Thanks!
7. Volunteer. I have done volunteer work sporadically in the past but the last time I volunteered on a regular basis was about 10 years ago when I was a hospital volunteer in the maternity ward (LOVED it by the way!). So this year, I would like to find ways to donate my time and services to causes I believe in - children, animal rights, etc.
8. Meditate. Perhaps this should be further down the list because I've said I was going to attempt meditation many times in the past and I have not, but I want to learn how to do this and give it a real try this year. If anyone out there has a meditation practice and can give me some tips on how to get started I would truly appreciate it! I've heard there are even iPhone apps for this? Who knew.
9. Yoga. Along the same lines as the above. I've been saying for years I would like to get into yoga, both for it's physical and spiritual benefits. Here's hoping this is the year I get all bendy and zen :)
10. Take a solo trip. This one is currently wearing many hats, and I'm not sure where I want to go with it. I'm turning 35 this year (wait, WHAT?!) and thought about taking a solo trip to celebrate my birthday. I have also been looking into attending a blogging conference like FitBloggin or the SweatPink/Ideafit Blogger conference. And I am also dying to make a West Coast trip a reality because it's been on my mind forever and I want to see if I could really see myself relocating/living out there one day. So yeah, this solo trip could be a birthday trip/destination race/blogger conference/relocation scouting mission all rolled into one!
11. Health Coach certification. This is another one that has been on my radar for a few years. I have been following the Institute for Integrative Nutrition for a couple of years and even attended a few Meetups last year with current students of IIN but I've never taken the plunge and registered for classes. I'm not sure what I want out of becoming a Health Coach right now, but it just feels like the right direction for me to move in, just like getting my PT certification. However, this and the trip have been put at the end of the list because they are heavily finance-dependent and we'll just have to see where I am in that realm as the year goes on!
Ok so there you have it. If anyone had the patience to read through that entire list you are truly a saint. It seems long and somewhat convoluted, yes, and it's not even all inclusive of the big dreams I have going on in my head! As I said before, goals can change with time, and I want to be flexible this year and most of all do what FEELS right to me. I did a lot of that last year along with soul searching and I feel like I am moving in the right direction in many areas of my life. I just need to remember to listen to my own inner voice and try to tune everything else out.
Have you set any goals for the coming year?
Do you have any advice for me on any of my goals?
Can you cook spaghetti squash, meditate or bend your knees behind your head??! If so, teach me your ways!