Saturday, December 13, 2014

Ch-Ch-Changes

Change is good, right?  Right!  I've made no qualms about the fact that historically, I've been a very change/risk-averse person.  Even in my not-so-distant past, I clung to the tried and true path like a baby to his security blanket.  But in just two years, I've grown leaps and bounds.  Mostly because I was forced to, but hey, I've grown!  Sometimes you just need to be thrown into the deep end of the pool to learn to swim.  (Coming from a nanny - NO, do not ever do this to a child! Terrible idea.)  But for some adults, (*cough*cough*) being pushed may be the only way they'll make a move.  Sink or swim baby.

I've known and anticipated for some time that 2015 was going to be a year of changes for me, in several areas of my life.  In particular, I knew the spring would bring about some professional changes, but it turns out things are going to change a loooooooot sooner than I thought.  Like January sooner.  Hellooooooooo!  Of course, I experienced the ever-familiar initial feelings of panic and shock after some recent developments, but my feelings quickly changed to excitement. I actually have been craving change recently and feel invigorated and motivated to do some new things.  After all the life changes I've gone through recently, I feel so much better equipped to handle life's curve balls. 

Another thing that has really helped me put change into a more positive perspective has coincidentally come from my new line of work.  Children, and infants in particular, change almost constantly.  Sometimes, it seems they grow and change overnight!  If you've ever worked with or raised children, I'm sure you're familiar with the developmental stages infants go through month-by-month.  It's actually amazing how much they learn, change and grow in the first 12 months of their life.  Without change, a baby would never progress from sitting, to crawling to walking.  Or move from liquid to solid foods.  Or learn to sleep through the night! (Parents everywhere rejoice when that milestone is reached!!) 

To remind myself how good change can be, I decided to think back on some changes I made and how they turned out to be positive milestones in my life:

  • Switched over from coke bottle glasses to contacts in the 12th grade.  Thank goodness.  Still a nerd, but a somewhat disguised one.
  • Stopped fighting the hair I was born with and decided to just go wild and free post-college.  No reason for a tiger to hide it's stripes.
  • Always thought I was a "dog person".  Took a chance on 2 shelter cats 10 years ago and never looked back.  I now consider myself an equal opportunity animal lover.
  • Despite my initial (negative) impressions of the city, took a chance and moved to Baltimore 10 years ago.  Of course there have been ups and downs but I have made some incredible memories and connections here.
  • Took a chance on romance a few years ago and although it didn't have a fairytale ending, it was a life-changing experience in more ways than one.
  • Decided to run a half marathon 3 years ago.  Relationship with running went from 'casual' to 'we're engaged'. 
  • Did a complete 180 and changed careers last year.  I'm now using my unique, natural talents and my heart more than ever before.
  • Started a blog.  What?!  It's not the biggest or the best but it's all mine and I love the feeling of putting my ideas out there and connecting with others.

Pinterest is always good for some choice words so let's end this post with a little cheesy inspiration! 








Now get out there and become beautiful butterflies you crazy little caterpillars!


How do you react to change?

Make any big changes lately?

Do you think 2015 will bring changes to your life?

10 comments:

  1. "Did a complete 180 and changed careers last year. I'm now using my unique, natural talents and my heart more than ever before."
    This is everything. Just everything. It speaks for itself in ways that I can't even begin to describe.
    This has been another big year of change for me as well. And the changes that are to come for the coming year are likely to be just as monumental, though they may take time. But while that fact, and the looming unknown is indeed scary, if anything, I have learned this year that I am stronger than I ever knew, and that if seemingly "bad" change can result in something as fabulous as the current direction of my life, then why should I fear it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Susie! I agree with you. We always fear change. It's just human nature. We are groomed to stay with the familiar and comfortable. But as we've both seen recently change can be REALLY really GOOD!

      Delete
  2. I love change! If it were up to me I'd move every 5 years :)

    My biggest change lately has been personal growth over the past year. I'm a different person than I was in Jan of 2014. Yay!

    Bring on 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha oh my you are far braver than I! I am not a fan of moving. It's like torture for me!
      Congrats on making big personal growth changes this year :)

      Delete
  3. wow that's some list of accomplishments! As they say, change is the only constant! Once we learn how to embrace change it's not that scary. Great motivation for folks afraid of change for sure! #NEB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO right! Change is the only constant, which is why we really miss out if we continue to cling to things far past their expiration date.

      Delete
  4. I'm trying my best every day to cope with changes better and don't stress out that much. I am getting better :)
    My biggest change lately has been entering the job market again, so I'm very excited to see what 2015 has in store for me.

    Congratulations on all the changes you've made so far, fingers crossed for your 2015! May it bring you al the changes you need :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's wonderful Marie! I wish you the best of luck as you re-enter the working world. Thank you so much for your kind words!

      Delete
  5. FOR THE LONGEST TIME I WAS NOOOOO GOOD with change, but this past year has literally changed EVERYTHING! I think it has something to do with a relationship I was/am in! So thank you to that certain someone who does in fact drive me crazy ;) Perhaps it also has to do with the fact that I am GASP getting older?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Relationships have a way of doing that don't they?! They are often life changing. I know my last one was. We're not getting older - just wiser :) Yeah, that's it.

      Delete