Thursday, May 7, 2015

"I Believe the Children Are Our Future"

Happy Friday and Mother's Day Weekend to you all!  I'm linking up with Mama Kat again today for her Writer's Workshop with this prompt:

Share a quote you love.
 
I knew exactly what I wanted to write about when I saw this, and thought it was fitting for this weekend's tribute to mothers:
 
 

I don't remember when I first saw this quote, it was many years ago, but I immediately connected with it.  It was almost as if I had spoken the words myself. 
 
Like many girls my age, I started babysitting in high school.  I credit one of my best friends for introducing me to my first family and thus igniting a passion I never knew I had.  From that very first job, and at such a young age, I remember feeling like this was something I was good at, and perhaps even made to do.  I connected easily with kids, genuinely enjoyed the time I spent with them, and even more than that, I somehow understood that what I was doing was an incredible responsibility, and not just child's play (sorry for the pun!).  And I've treated my interactions with children that way ever since. 
 
It's so hard to put into words how I feel about childcare, and all those that nurture, educate and help raise children, but I'm going to try.  I believe there are few things more important in this life than taking care of others.  Human to human is where it's at.  I think a clear way to measure the goodness of any society is to see how they care for the youngest, oldest, sickest, and frailest among their ranks. 
 
Over the past week, I've received so many kind words from my nanny families as well as strangers, and I think that's what led me to blog about this today.  Although I'm still not the best at accepting compliments, these words meant so much to me. 
 
I'm often mistaken for the kids' moms when we are out and about, and I'm always quick to point out that I'm the nanny.  I feel it's respectful to their moms to make the distinction clear.  When I pointed this out to a mother at one of our classes this week, she told me she would have never known because I treated my charge so sweetly, as if he were my own.  [Side note: Is there any other way to treat a child?!]  Another family told me this week that they are eternally grateful and feel so lucky that I came into their lives.  (I feel the same way about them and their child!)  I'm not retelling these things to brag, but to demonstrate the amazing things acting with love can do.  Childcare is anything but a 'job' to me.  It is a part of my very being, and caring for other children 'as if they were my own' is what I believe every good human should do.  We are all one.
 
 
I think it's clear from many of my posts that I'm an idealist (as opposed to a realist), and I don't care much for many of the so-called 'necessities' of modern life.  Yes, paying rent, and buying cars, and using smartphones are all things we as humans 'must' do sometimes, but these things are not the essence of life or the reason we are here.  I think we are here to share our gifts and connect with others.  To be good people and do good things. 
 
I don't know why it's so easy for me to connect with and understand kids, but I know that if I was given that gift, I have to use it for good!  Over the years, I've been drawn to the youngest of children, mostly infants and young toddlers.  This may sound kind of out there, but I believe I'm drawn to them because they are the closest we will ever get to the Source/God/the Other Side here on earth.  They are complete goodness and love and I believe it's OUR responsibility to show them that same goodness.  The world can be a hard, cruel place and eventually everyone will see that, but it's important that the youngest of us are taken care of, nurtured and shown love because they are our future.
 
Perhaps if we take care of each and every one of them, they will grow up to change this world for the better, and there will be no more cruelty or hatred.  It's a tall order, but something worth undertaking.  The recent events in Baltimore are just one example, but unrest like this exists all over the world.  The solution is LOVE for all humans and we've got to instill that in our youth in order for anything to change down the line.
 
It remains to be seen if I will ever get to be a biological mother.  It's something I always thought would've happened by now, but perhaps I'm meant to help raise hundreds of kids and not just a few of my own?!  I firmly believe in the old adage 'It takes a village' to raise a child.  Whether you are a mother, aunt, sister, father, childcare professional, foster parent, adoptive parent, teacher, minister, mentor, or any other number of people who help to raise children, I believe you are doing some of the most important work on this earth.  Tiny humans are the future of humanity and this planet.  Above all, we should love them. 
 
For some further inspiration, have a listen to classic Whitney.  I used to belt out this song as a kid like nobody's business! 
 

 
Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there and Thank you to everyone who has made a difference in the life of a child!
 
 
 
 
Share one of your favorite quotes with me!
 
How are you celebrating Mother's Day this weekend?
 



6 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful look at the interaction of children and adults, but I also think it is a beautiful perspective on your own situation--that you though you would have kids by now but don't. You have already been so important in the lives of so many children. And so many to come. But I do hope that you get to have some of your own :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope so too Susie! I still hope I become a mother someday, but sometimes it feels like I'm running out of time. I really hope that's not the case.

      Delete
  2. I remember a blogger who I used to follow had a similar life. She ended up relocating to a far off city and the children she nannied (is that the right word?) called her and begged her to return. They loved their mom and dad but she was their sister.

    Farin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh this is so sweet! I still think about the kids I babysit back in PA when I left 11 years ago! I was so sad to leave them and I know when I leave MD one day I"ll be sad to leave as well. It is really such an amazing relationship.

      Delete
  3. This is so sweet. It's definitely important to consider the impact we're leaving on others. All this other stuff pales in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Material things are fleeting but people and the goodness we show to them exist forever.

      Delete