Even though summer doesn't officially start until Sunday, it already feels like it's in full swing. And oddly, every day that goes by makes me a bit sad - I can feel my favorite time of year slipping through my fingers. It's funny how when we are in the midst of the things we love (spouse, children, pets, vacations, etc) our minds drift to the future thinking just how sad we'll be when they're gone. Why do we do this? Or is this only me?
Thoughts of summer are sometimes the only way I can get through winter. Summer for me means living in color. As opposed to winter, which often feels like a million different shades of gray.
Soooooooo, to make sure I make the most of this short, beautiful, wonderful season that is now upon us, I wanted to make a bucket list of sorts. These are my summer 2015 dreams:
- Sand and saltwater. I want to make it to the beach, any beach this summer. We don't have any family vacations planned this year, and I don't get any paid time off, which makes taking vacations difficult. But I NEED to be by the sea at least once during the summer. It's essential. Even if it's just a day trip.
- Make s'mores. (Minus the chocolate obv.) We did this last year when we were camping and I had forgotten how good real s'mores made over a campfire taste! Since I don't have any camping trips planned this year, I'm going to have to get creative to make this one happen.
Camping with my niece last year!
- Even out my TAN! T-shirt/shorts/flip flop tan is in full effect. That needs to be remedied.
- Ready more library books! Books, Books, Books, Books. Oh wait, that's Shots, nvm. There are so many books on my reading list, and so little time. But summer is the perfect time for getting lost in a book. It's like a free vacation.
- Hiking. As much as possible. I'm hoping to visit some new state parks and sites I have not been to this year. How can you resist this:
- Visit Luray Caverns in Virginia. This has been on my to-do list for a few years. It looks positively magical. Hoping to plan a weekend trip to VA this summer to explore.
- Planning my trip to CALIFORNIA in September! I can't believe this is happening. I've been waiting my whole life to visit CA and it's becoming a reality in just 3 months. One of my best friends from high school is getting married in NorCal and I've decided to make a bucket list trip out of it. For many reasons, I can only get a week off of work but I'm determined to see at least 2 major cities out there (currently thinking San Diego and San Fran). I'm hoping to stay in hostels/with friends to save money, and to cap off the week, I'll be meeting up with my sister and another friend from back home and staying in a cabin in The Sea Ranch for the wedding. I CAN'T WAIT!! I've been waiting 36 years for this!
- SUP! I've been wanting to try stand-up paddle boarding for at least a year or two. There are now a couple locations offering SUP near Baltimore and I want to go!
- Meet my new nephew before the summer's over. My sister's due date has come and gone and still no baby. Here's hoping he arrives before summer ends. (<----TOTALLY KIDDING LAURA!) In reality, I hope he arrives while I'm home this weekend for Father's Day. I know my sister's ready!
- Ride a roller coaster. I haven't been to an amusement park in ages. I'm hoping to get a day off in July to go with my sisters/nieces/nephews!
- Spend as much time outside as possible. (<---- A million times this)
Who needs a boyfriend when you have a love affair with Summer every year?!
What's on your summer bucket list?