Thursday, December 4, 2014

9 Healthy Grocery Staples Always in my Cart

Today I want to talk about my grocery essentials.  I'm not a nutritionist, foodie, or expert cook, but I do consider myself a (mostly) healthy eater on a budget so I thought I'd share what's in my cart or in my pantry week after week.  These are foods that are constants in my diet and having them on hand means I always have something healthy to reach for when time is tight or when I'm stressed (helloooooo Holidays!).  (I'm not an expert so please use your judgment when selecting foods that are best for you.)


1.  FRUIT


Always in my cart:  Apples and bananas.  Just like the children's song (I like to eat, eat, eat apples and bananas; I like to ate, ate ate apples and bananas..).  I guess there's a reason they are a staple.  I've eaten an apple nearly every day of my life for lunch since I was in high school and I don't intend to stop anytime soon!  I don't get sick very often so perhaps there is also something to the adage about keeping the doctor away.  I'm not a huge fan of eating bananas straight up, but they are always in my smoothies, hence I need a constant supply.  Also who can forget the wonder that is the 2 Ingredient Pancake?!  I also tend to buy whatever fruit is on sale or in season - this is obviously a lot more fun in the summer.  In addition, I always have some frozen fruit on hand for use in my smoothies as well.


2.  GREENS/VEGGIES


Always in my cart:  Spinach and baby carrots.  I start off most of my evening meals/dinners with a big salad, hence the spinach.  I also add spinach to my smoothies.  I snack on baby carrots any ol time so they're always in my fridge.  Then, I pick up any other veggies I'm craving at the moment.  I really like to snack on mushrooms (weird I know!) so I buy them a lot.  I try to buy seasonably here as well, which makes the winters a bit rougher.


3.  PLANT BASED MILK ALTERNATIVE


Always in my cart:  Almond milk.  I've been lactose intolerant since the age of 11 or 12 so I have not drunk cow's milk in about 20 years.  I used to drink soy milk but started to become worried about the effect that would ultimately have on my fertility/cancer risks so I've switched to almond milk.  I also like coconut milk in my smoothies.  I always buy the unsweetened versions.  (No reason to add sugar to milk.)  I've heard cashew milk just recently came on the market, which I'd like to try, but I have yet to see that in any of my grocery stores. 


4.  NUTS


Always in my cart:  Raw almonds.  I also pick up any other kind of nut I'm fancying that week.  This week it was pistachios and those coconut almonds which are insanely good.  I am often out of my house by 7am and don't return until after 8pm some nights so I need lots of snacks with me for the day.  I pretty much eat a handful of almonds every evening in my car on my way to the gym after work.  They're the perfect snack.


5.  BARS

Always in my cart:  Raw Revolution bars.  Like I mentioned above, I'm out of my house for long hours during the day and need snacks to keep me going.  I love snack bars because they are quick and easy and usually are a good source of protein, vitamins and minerals.  These can sometimes be hard to come by for me because I need bars that are vegan and/or dairy free.  For the past year, I've been obsessed with Raw Revolution bars but I also enjoy others from:  Luna, Kind, Odwalla, Clif, etc.  Anything dairy free and relatively low in sugar are fair game.


6.  HUMMUS



Always in my cart:  Athenos hummus.  Other brands I like include Sabra and Wegmans store brand, but Athenos is hands down my favorite.  Hummus is a great, filling, protein-packed food to have on hand.  I snack on hummus most often with those baby carrots up there but you can really dip anything in hummus (Ok, maybe not anything!).  I don't often have a loaf of bread on hand (don't really eat it) but sometimes I have pita or flatbread which both taste lovely in here. 


7.  OATS


Always in my cart:  Old fashioned oats.  If I have nothing else around for breakfast, this is a quick go-to.  No, I'm not a fancy blogger and have never tried 'overnight oats'!  I just boil water and pour it on these oats with either a little brown sugar or honey and some fruit.  DONE!  Oats are known to reduce cholesterol, they've got good fiber content and they keep you full.  They're also super cheap when you buy a big tub like this!


8.  PLANT BASED PROTEIN POWDER


Always in my cart:  PlantFusion.  I know people have mixed feelings on using protein powders but I am not shy about admitting I like them.  I don't have a protein shake every day but I find them good for recovery after a workout or run, or as a quick, easy snack.  I obviously stick to plant-based powders (as opposed to those made from whey) and Plant Fusion has been my favorite for years.  I also like Vega but it's a bit more expensive.  And I just bought a few samples of Shakeology's vegan formula so I'll have a review on those once I try them.  I most often just use a Blender Bottle and mix my Plant Fusion powder with unsweetened almond milk.  Sometimes I'll add it to green smoothies as well.


9.  TEA


Always in my cart:  Decaffeinated black tea.  I drink hot tea almost daily when the weather is cold.  My basic cup is any brand of decaf black tea + honey but I also enjoy sampling seasonal and herbal blends.  Tea is great way to up your fluid intake during the day and add antioxidants to your diet.  It's also just comforting :)


This is my basic go-to list.  It's certainly not fancy or trendy and doesn't contain a lot of expensive items.  This is obviously not representative of everything I eat in a day or a week and there are many things I've left off, but the foods I've mentioned are things that I always buy and always have on hand.  In addition, I usually always purchase some kind of lean meat (turkey or beef) or seafood (usually frozen - salmon, shrimp, mussels, crab) which is the base of my evening meal.  I usually always have eggs and peanut butter on hand as well.  I do not purchase many packaged snack foods like chips, cookies, crackers, etc because I don't really eat those things.  I do eat treats and they are usually some type of candy, or dark chocolate, or frozen vegan 'ice cream'. 

One more note:  I usually do not buy organic, simply due to price!  It's not really in my budget, although I do worry about what all of the chemicals are doing to my body.  I think once I have kids, my stance might change and I will probably shell out the extra money to feed them organic.  I also try to buy non-GMO when possible, but some of these items are probably, definitely the result of genetic modification, which also scares the bejesus out of me.


I wasn't compensated for mentioning any of the brands in this post.  These are all just my personal faves!


I'd love to know what's in your grocery cart every week.  Please share!

25 comments:

  1. We have some similar items. Always have vegetables & fruit (apples & oranges to be exact), chicken, and eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessie! Thanks for stopping by. Ooooh oranges are good. I especially love clementines this time of year!

      Delete
  2. We have similar items. I almost always have eggs, natural peanut butter and now that they're in season, clementines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love clementines too! I haven't bought any yet this year. It's time I do - thanks for the reminder!

      Delete
  3. I have a similar list as well! I usually have Greek Yogurt in my basket too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny! Ahh, I wish they would come out with a non-dairy version of Greek yogurt. I'd love to try it!

      Delete
  4. Our staples are pretty identical ;) (Yay PlantFusion! I love hearing from our fans!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE PlantFusion - do you work for them?! I sing their praises to whomever will listen. It's a great product!

      Delete
  5. Super similar grocery carts, but I would add eggs, yogurt, and ice cream. And cereals. Alex and I do WORK on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Susie, let me tell you I used to be ADDICTED to cereal. Here's my story: When I first moved out on my own I couldn't cook (even less than I can now, if that's possible) so I would eat cereal for several meals each day. I am pretty sure I knew and tried every possible cereal variation out on the market. Even the really sweet kiddie ones. This went on for a couple years at least and then all of I sudden I just got so sick of it, I couldn't stand the sight/taste of it anymore! So I went through a period of years where I didn't eat any cereal at all. Now I like it again but it's not an all the time, every day thing like before. Moral of the story I am a member of CerealaHolics Anonymous.

      Delete
  6. Had no idea Soy milk could be harmful, thanks for the tip!

    Farin
    http://farinvazquez.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Farin! I'm definitely no expert on the subject but I did a lot of reading on the subject and although nothing is proven, it concerned me enough to eliminate it as much as I could from my diet.

      Delete
  7. These are great and I purchase many of them when I go food shopping as well. I always buy avocados too -- they're my fave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm avocados, yes! Did you hear there could be a shortage of them soon due to the dry weather in CA?!

      Delete
  8. I love your suggestions, and I purchase many of the same things! It's so much easier staying healthy when healthy foods are easily accessible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leesha! Thanks for reading. Yes, I agree - always having these staples on hand just makes it easier to reach for something nutritious!

      Delete
  9. Oooooh sweet--our pantry staples are very similar :) Always try to have hummus and veggies oats, and fruits on hand. And nuts are a great way to fill hunger pangs in the middle of the day (thanks for the reminder that I need to buy some granola bars next time in the grocery store). XOXO and hope you're enjoying your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like we have very similar tastes!! I love having simple, nutritious things on hand. Of course, I always seem to have candy in the house too :) haha

      Delete
  10. I am pretty similar minus the hummus, add light string cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, I remember string cheese from my elementary school days! I wonder if they make non-dairy versions?!

      Delete
  11. Our staples are pretty similar except I don't usually buy bars. I do pick some Luna bars up if I pass a Trader joe's though! But besides that I usually have tortilla chips/salsa or popcorn and always always always some chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I usually have vegan/dark chocolate in the house too! I'm not really a fan of chips and salsa but I'll eat them if I'm at a Mexican restaurant! hahaha

      Delete
  12. I love your list! I just got into Blue Diamond almonds. I have always just had the raw ones, but I found some with a little flavor and it makes almonds taste even better. I usually have a little cheese in my cart for some added calcium since I'm not a huge milk fan. Happy shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love almonds! I always have the raw ones but just recently discovered those coconut ones which are AMAZING!

      Delete
  13. 3 Researches PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally burn fat by eating coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete