Friday, December 19, 2014

Where I'm From...



I am from muddy sneakers and girls in matching sweat suits.  From A-Treat soda and summer days spent climbing the blackberry tree in the park.

I am from the little yellow house on North Street with the rose trellis and the attic I was afraid of.

I am from the big maple tree in the front yard whose roots ran deep and wide enough to split our sidewalk.  From the lilac bush out back where I picked flowers for my favorite 3rd grade teacher.

I am from Sunday dinners and kisses (always) hello and goodbye.  I am from Michael and Mary and Salvatore and Alberta.

I am from the hard workers, the 'family first', and the faithful. 

From the 'Say No to Drugs' my grandfather wrote on every birthday card, and the 'Wait til your father gets home!' my mother would say when she was really mad.

I am from school uniforms, First Holy Communion, and Midnight Mass.  I am from Sister Regina who let us watch 'Reading Rainbow' in the 1st grade, and Father Reed who put candy canes in our shoes every Saint Nicholas day. 

I’m from the little town of Bethlehem, Czechoslovakia and Sicily.  I am from halupki and pierogi, baked ziti and hot ricotta sandwiches, and chocolate and strawberry milk that came in old glass bottles from the dairy.

From the family dog my mom said 'yes' to and my dad said 'no'.  The little ball of fluff who wore my father down and became the love of our lives for 15 years.

I am from the cardboard boxes filled with awkward school photos and pictures of every birthday cake I ever ate.

I am from immigrants who came to this country with hopes and dreams for their children's children and from parents who made their dreams come true. 

I am from 3 sisters who laughed and fought, played tag and rode bikes, hunted salamanders and raised hamsters, and will forever be tied by our common history. 




This post was a prompt from MamaKat's Writer's Workshop for 12/18.  I got super emotional writing this and thinking about my family and childhood.  I loved this exercise and think it's worthwhile for anyone to do, even if just in your own personal journal.  If you'd like you can link up a post here, or check out other's submissions for the poem.  The template for this poem can also be found here. 

23 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Aww thanks Susie! I loved writing this, I love the way it made me feel as I was writing it, and I love how it turned out. I think I may print out a copy and give it to my parents for Christmas.

      Delete
  2. This is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I know you're not really feeling it, but Merry Christmas to you! I hope it's lovelier than you imagined :)

      Delete
  3. Love this! I have done this activity with students many times. It's such a great piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really a great exercise and I love how it turned out!

      Delete
  4. Teary eyed here too jilly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Lesle! I miss you. I can't wait to see you!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Oh my those are kind kind words Pam! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  6. This turned out so good! I hope you did give it to your parents for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! They loved it! Thank you for the great prompt!

      Delete
  7. So enjoyed reading this - the boxes of pictures of birthday cake! And horrid school pictures - do we really need to continue that practice? Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading Margaret! I appreciate your sweet comments

      Delete
  8. Love this, I think we might be related. I'm from those immigrant parents too, and I have 3 sisters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Thank you. It's nice that we share a similar story!

      Delete