Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Tinder Tuesday and #YesAllWomen

4 days.  That's all it took for me to become a victim on Tinder.  I was Tindering happily along in my bubble for 3 whole days thinking I was going to be the exception to the rule, and then it happened on Day 4.  The day I received my first overtly obscene message.

I could have just deleted the message, but I chose to call out this imbecile.  What follows is the actual message and because of this idiot, it's NSFW, so be warned.


 
 


As, you can see my retorts were somewhat humorous and tongue-in-cheek, but afterward I began to feel really angry that in 2014, this is still the state of affairs when it comes to dating protocol.  The conversation even continued on a few more lines but at that point he started calling me unattractive (uh, YOU are the one who messaged ME, Prince Charming), and I decided to just block him instead of stooping to his level and getting into an argument.

I don't know if you've been following the Twitter movement the past two days - #YesAllWomen - but it aims to call attention to the misogyny and harassment of women that is still rampant, decades after the birth of feminism and women's rights were supposedly 'won'.  The Twitter hashtag is a response to the senseless shootings in Santa Barbara, CA over the weekend by Elliot Rodger.

My intent in bringing my unfortunate Tinder exchange is not to showcase this misogynist's blatant disrespect and misguided attempt at wrangling my attention, but to start a conversation about how this type of behavior is still even happening among men in this day and age.  ANY girl who's participated in online dating, or heck, just meeting guys during a night out with friends has almost surely experienced this type of sexually harassing behavior, and has come to expect it as just something we need to put up with and weed through. 

There is something seriously wrong with that.  There are even men complaining on Twitter about the attention the #YesAllWomen movement is getting.  Because yeah, being the dominant sex for pretty much the entire course of history has been really rough.

I hope all you women out there are brave enough to call out men you see behaving this way and I hope all the men out there (at least my readers)  have evolved way past the days of banging women over the head and dragging them into your cave.


Have you ever been a victim of any sexually harassing behavior?

Have you participated in or followed the #YesAllWomen movement on Twitter?

6 comments:

  1. I haven't to that extent but that makes me furious. What an a$$clown. He should be so lucky. To every have a female around him. Good on you for being classy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks for your support Susie! It really is mind blowing that there are men out there who think its acceptable to speak to women this way.

      Delete
  2. I used to call out this kind of nonsense, too. Like you, I had some turn on me and start telling me I was alone for a reason, and mocking my attractiveness, and like you, I pointed out that I was clearly attractive/appealing enough for them to message me in the first place. Some people are just hugely disappointing, and the disrespect some men feel okay handing out behind internet personas is sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading some of your past posts where you did respond to idiots like this and I loved them! At first I wasn't even going to engage with him at all but then I thought, someone needs to show him how big of an a$$hole he is, why not me?

      Delete
  3. So he is a misogynist for asking for sex?!! And this is the crap American men put up with. They have to treat you like a princess and pay for you(of course expecting him to pay and treat you like a princess isn't misandry though) and say all the perfect stuff to eventaully have the hope of getting some sex. Lol. This is why I travel to the Philippines and Colombia for sex. They are friendly women who are DTF and treat a man with respect instead of antagonizing him after he asks for sex. You, basically are straight up acting like a kunt to him. You could have just said no thanks or I don't want to talk anymore. And then the cohones to call it misogyny and you believe this is rape culture!!!! Lmao, this is why relationships are becoming obsolete in America. Men are tired of American womens attitdues. They think they have the golden vagina and they don't. I am glad I found out about foreign girls. Kunts like you are a waste of space and good for nothing other than cock teasing men and exploiting then for your own advantages. Narcissistic and materialistic piece of trash women here in America.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People like that make me lose faith in humanity, and I'm sorry you had to deal with that. It's so sad that people like that still exist (I've definitely dealt with my fair share too, quite unfortunately.) I'm glad you called him out on his nonsense!

    ReplyDelete