Thursday, February 13, 2014

Without Winter, Would There be a Spring?

As I sit here this afternoon, in the midst of yet another apocalyptic snowfall this season (thanks, Winter Storm #Pax), this question came to mind, and I've been thinking about it a lot, both literally and figuratively. 

 
 
As young children in school, many of us learn about the four seasons.  We learn that in temperate climates, there are distinct seasons of the year, and each one has a special purpose and characteristics.  We understand that certain things must happen at particular times of the year, in order to make way for other things to happen later in the year.  So I guess you could say in terms of climatic seasons, there really would be no spring without winter.  If nothing ever died, or hibernated, or froze, there would be no need for rebirth, regrowth and warming. 
 
I often wonder what it is like to live in a tropical climate, or a place that doesn't have a winter season?  Is everything just constantly in bloom and flourishing?  And if this is the case, do these people know how good they have it?!  Is every plant, animal and human just bursting at the seams with happiness?!
 
In a more figurative manner I wonder, if you never experience bad 'weather' in your life - bad times, tragedies, heartbreak, etc - do you appreciate the goodness you have as much?  If it were summer every day, I wonder if I would start to take it for granted?  I know when we are in the midst of summer, and every day the weather is gorgeous and beautiful, I start to do just that.  It's only when we have a rainy day or when I'm smack dab in the middle of a dark grey winter that I realize just how beautiful summer is. 
 
And so I ask, do we always need a comparison to realize how good we have it?  Do we sometimes only know what goodness we have once it's gone?  Sadly, I think I do, and I wish that wasn't the case.  I think there are probably highly enlightened people out there who, when they are in the midst of some really good weather, give gratitude for it and realize just how lucky they are, without needing any reminders or comparisons.
 
But on the same token, do you think experiencing bad weather, climate-wise or life-wise, makes you appreciate the sunny weather even more?  I do think so.  I think when you're at rock bottom (as we just may be this winter!) and you make it to the top - whatever that may be for you and your situation - you see it with very different eyes, than someone who has been there all along, even if that person is truly grateful for all that they have. 
 
But alas, these are questions I really do not have answers for, provoked by what has seemed like the longest, coldest winter ever.  I we will all be dancing like maniacs in the street when spring finally rolls around.  I imagine it will feel like we are seeing the season with new eyes - every new blossom and ray of sunshine we feel on our face may just feel like the first one ever.  And for that wonderful gift, we can thank this crazy winter.  I think I've just found the silver lining...
 
 
What do you think?
 
Would you know and appreciate your good weather, if you never experienced any bad?
 
If you live in California or the tropics, please chime in!  (And also let me know if you need a new roomie!)
 

 

10 comments:

  1. Down here in Florida we don't have a real winter. But it does get colder than usual, and some stuff stops blooming. But, seriously, we can't complain about anything weather-wise (well, hurricanes, but that is a whole other story).

    I think having bad weather or hard times definitely make us appreciate the beautiful spring days much more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracie! Thanks for stopping by. My cousin moved to Florida last year and he loves the weather! It's been a great change for him having grown up in the Northeast. I'm very much looking forward to Spring this year!!

      Delete
  2. After living in England for 5 years, I appreciate the good weather days and don't fret the bad ones. It is something out of your control and once you let it go, life is so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is actually great advice, thank you so much for sharing! Letting go of things you can't control is so hard sometimes, but I know it makes life so much easier :)

      Delete
  3. Yes, I definitely do think that the cold snowy days make you appreciate the warmer days, or at least give something to look forward to :) And def. the same with life, though I too need the reminders (unfortunately).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly! Yes, I wish I could appreciate things while they are here sometimes, instead of needing reminders but being mindful of this is at least a step in the right direction. Oh Spring will be highly celebrated by me this year!

      Delete
  4. I loved this post. I think as I get older, I appreciate the warmer weather more. The past few days has left me wishing to feel the warm sun on my face and dream of beaches. One of my favorite times of year is seeing the new green grass and tiger lilies sprouting up out of the newly thawed ground. It's like a new hope or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary! I agree! Spring brings with it so many possibilities. It's so exhilarating to step outside after a long winter and feel the warmth and see everything come out of hiding!

      Delete
  5. I live in South Florida, no real winters here. I also did some island living in Key Largo (15yrs worth). Having fair weather most of the time is a bonus but it does not filter out hard times. I work in an emergency department and see so many at their very worst every day. That is what makes me appreciate what I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tricia. Thanks for sharing. Your job must really bring perspective and you are so wise to recognize that!

      Delete