Friday, February 21, 2014

Workouts Lately...and an avocado shortage?!

 
Since I don't have a Spring half marathon on the books, you may be wondering, 'What has our little Jilly been up to?'.  Or more likely, you have not, but I'm going to tell you anyway!
 
I'm still running, but I'm also doing lots of other kinds of workouts lately too.  Mother Nature has been throwing lots of tricks at runners this year (helloooo polar vortex), that have made it hard to get outside.  I do enjoy snow running now and then because it's so peaceful and serene when the snow starts falling, but lately there is just SO much packed snow and ice on the ground, it's been difficult and too dangerous to do much running outside.  I mean, lesson learned from these guys:
  




So, here's what I've been up to this week:

Sunday - Rest.  Traveling back from PA.

Monday - 20 min interval workout on the bike.  40 min upper/lower body weight lifting (machines and free weights)

Tuesday - Xtend Barre (1 hour class)

Wednesday - Got all the way to the gym, started undressing in the locker room and realized I DIDN'T PACK TIGHTS!  Since I believe my gym frowns upon working out in your underwear, I had to pack up and take my workout home.  I ended up doing this workout from Pinterest 3 times through (took about 30 mins) ... in my underwear.  You're welcome for that image.  #thisisprobablywhyi'msingle


 
Thursday - 5K run outside.  In which I risked my life because 1 out of every 2 houses had not yet shoveled their sidewalk from winter storm #Pax, which let me remind you, was an ENTIRE week ago.  This run was more like an obstacle course.
 
Friday - 30 min interval workout on the Arc Trainer.  Followed by 10 mins of abs and stretching.
 
There you have it.  The most random workout mix up ever. What can I say, I like variety.  I get bored doing the same thing over and over (unless its running, because I'm kind of transported to another world sometimes when I'm running). 
 
In fact, last week I did a workout on the most awkward piece of cardio equipment at my gym - the StairMaster:
 
 
You would think since I have been working out in gyms since I was about 15 (so going on 20 years now) I would have worked out on this machine millions of times by now.  You'd be wrong, and now I know why!  I did a 30 min workout on this thing and feared for my life every second.  I kept having the feeling that I was going to fall off the back.  I have very tiny elf-like feet (size 6.5) and they didn't even fit all the way on these stairs. I can't imagine how people with larger feet feel.  Do only your toes fit on the step?! Although I felt like I got a really good workout, I don't think this is a machine I will ever be going back to.  I think I will just climb the steps to my 3rd floor apartment for 30 mins next time.
 
And for the last piece of randomness here, I heard that the drought in California may cause an avocado shortage?!! Say it isn't so.  I am currently sitting here eating one now as I type this and praying for rain for you West Coasters (sorry runners). 
 
I hope you all had a wonderful week of workouts :)
 
 
 
What have you been up to this week? 
 
Has your running suffered this winter, or do you just take it to the treadmill?
 
Have you ever done the StairMaster at the gym!?
 
What will we do without avocados?!
 
 

 
 
 
 
 


6 comments:

  1. haha, oh my goodness, this made me laugh - the video is hilarious - love her little, "Woops, that can happen" at the end :) Your #thisisprobablywhyi'msingle, haha. I've never been on a stairmaster, but geez, now I want to try it (but just for like 30 seconds - I wouldn't last 30 min. fearing for my life. Plus I have a whole size bigger feet than you - it probably wouldn't take nearly as long for me to imagine meeting my maker! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly! Glad I could give you laugh :) The stairmaster is no joke! I dk how anyone feels at ease on that thing!

      Delete
  2. oh that video was great! hahah
    i'm lucky enough to live close to my gym that has an indoor track, so i'm able to run without resorting to the treadmill too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brittney! Oh you are lucky! I really am not a fan of the treadmill, but perhaps I would enjoy an indoor track more. However, I seem to want to risk my life outdoors no matter what the weather! HA

      Delete
  3. Haha! I saw that video last week! Poor girl!
    Great week of workouts! I've never done the stairmaster but think i would feel the same way! That thing looks crazy scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zaneta! I know! That video went viral and feel bad for the girl. If you are ever feeling brave try the stairmaster and then let me know what you think!

      Delete